Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Nicole Lake, You Are An Ironman!

Ok I owe this style of writing to Valeria Rohde as I stole it from her IM post.  Hers made me cry.  I loved it so much!  I hope you don't mind V, but ever since I read your report and then decided on this journey your dedication and inspiration has fueled me!  You are my hero! Not some movie star, not some pro runner, but the woman who can do a super sprint tri and turn around a day later and decide to do an IM and freaking do it!

In late 2013 I read a post Ironman race report from a friend.  She made me want chicken broth.  She did not make me want to attempt an Ironman.  A year later I would be on the mend recovering from a hip stress fracture, swimming laps and buying my first bike assuring Cory I would never race triathlons.  A year after that I purchased my first road bike, Dexter, and attempted my first HIM 70.3. 2016, I did two HIM. The day after the second one I signed up for Chatt 144.6.  2017 Cory got me my first triathlon bike, Spector.  I spent this whole time building up to Feb 2017 when I would start a 6 month training program that would hopefully finish with Mike Reilly telling me my dream had come true and I was an Ironman.  It did.  This is my story!

Thursday: 
We are packed and heading out.  I am having many doubts.  It will be hot.  I am worried about getting sick.  We are stopping at a hotel in Kentucky.  The Cubs are playing the Brewers and need a win.  They get it in the 10th inning.  YES! I am excited.  I remember back to the World Series thinking that if the Cubs won after 100 plus years I could win an Ironman.  I feels good knowing they just won a hard game.

Friday:
I slept ok.  7 hours.  We wake up and have breakfast and I overhear an employee say that everyone that works there has been sick.  Worries set in.  I wish I didn't hear her. We head out for Chatt.  We stop at a beautiful rest stop on the lake right before we hit town.  We take pics.  We immediately park and head to the expo since we can't check in to the hotel till 3pm and it is only 12.  Ironman village is loaded with people and tents.  I make my way through to pick up my package and visit the goody tent, we buy a couple shirts, Cory wants to buy me a finishers plaque, I don't want to jinx myself.  We do lunch and walk around and head to the hotel.  We change and go for a run.  It is hot.  I am going to die race day.  We head back and eat dinner at the hotel and watch the Cubs.  They win again! in the 10th! Yay more confidence. 

Saturday:
I tossed and turned all night.  Maybe 5 hours of sleep.  I really needed 7-8.  We hit Starbucks and head out with my bike and bags to take to check in and attend the athlete's meeting.  I meet up with my friend Tina and just being around her and hearing about the course calms me.  I feel better.  We get some lunch and head back to the hotel.  Cory takes off to bike and I get my aid ready and shower and sit down to rest and watch the Cubs.  They lose. Damn.  I needed that confidence.  We go to a really great Italian restaurant and then head back to try to get an early night.

Sunday:
Pre Race:
I tossed and turned all night.  Maybe 1.5 hours of sleep.  I feel confident though.  I can do this. OMG Is my hip hurting? Is that a sore throat?  Time to go but I didn't poop.  I head down to set up my aid at my bike and drop off special need bags.  I meet up with Tina and her husband to get on the bus to go to the swim start.  I kiss Cory goodbye and set out.  We get there 2 hours early,  There are seriously only THAT few potty's for 2000 plus people and their families.  It smells and it is not the potty's.  Is that the water that smells?  I use the potty and head back to the line.  We wait. And wait.  It is 40 minutes pre race so I will eat my Honey Stinger Waffle.  Pros are taking off.  OMG do I have to poop now?  No No I don't have time.  OMG.  Normal people are starting.  I tell Tina that I can see the swim start now.  We say goodbye to Tina's husband.  I feel the dock on my feet. The announcer hugs me and telsl me it will be ok.  Tina tells me it is Mike Reilly.  I got hugged by Mike Reilly.  (Who the hell is Mike Reilly?) 

Swim:
I jump off the dock and I swallow a mouthful.  I start to panic and the first canoe calls me over.  I try to swim and I don't remember how to breathe under water.  Panic.  I keep trying and I don't know how.  Second canoe person makes me come over to his.  He tells me I need to wait 3 minutes and calm down.  A wave hits and I swallow it.  He makes me look at him and tells me to calm down.  I am worried about the time.  He tells me I need to calm down and I will have plenty of time and that I can do it.  I calm down. I tell him I am ok.  I take off and remember how to breathe.  I swim awhile with no contact with another person.  This swim is so spread out.  It is awesome.  I feel good, really good.  Is that the island halfway point.  OMG I am halfway??  I see the bridges!!  I see the exit.  They pull me out and I head to transition.

T1:
I grab my bag and head into the tent.  I will do a full change.  A volunteer grabs my bag and starts help me organize everything.  She helps me change.  She is an angel.  I am all set.  I try to eat a granola bar and get two bites down.  I have heartburn.  I take two tums.  I also take my base salt.  Ouch I have such bad heartburn.  I hit the potty and head out to get my bike.

Bike:
Clipped in and heading out.  Wow my legs feel so bad.  Why do they feel so heavy?  2 miles and someone has already got a flat.  I yell out asking if she needs anything and she doesn't.  That has to be good karma.  I won't flat since I asked.  Oh shit knock on wood.  I have no wood.  Please don't flat. I still feel like my legs are heavy.  Another person on the side of the road already??  I ask them they are good too super karma action going on here! 

Mile 11: ok We should be starting the 2 loops.  Why do I feel so tired.  I need to keep drinking but my tummy feels like poo.  I really can't stomach anymore of those waffles.  I will eat all they other stuff first.  I am really doing good with the drinking!  I will have to pee by the halfway point.  I bet my pee is not Miller Lite yet like Nick said I better drink more.  What the fuck is with all these hills.  I do not remember these in the HIM. What is this monster hill?  This was definitely not in the HIM.  Wow it is so pretty.  Fuck You Hill.  Fuck You.  It really is pretty. 

Mile 23-56: Did I really just see a mile 60 sign? That is just mean. Ok this is getting better.  That was a nice downhill after that killer.  I can do this.  I am still drinking.  Heartburn has kind of went away. I will try a honey stinger waffle again.  Ok no. That was not good.  Another person on the side of the road. I asked again and he said he needed a mechanic. Karma is working for me! Awe these down hills are giving me back my strength and confidence.  There is that Chikimakawakawu town! I need to stop at special needs for some pain meds.  My back hurts.  Got them and a granola bar.  Thank you volunteer! Back out.  Man it feels nice having all these people cheer.  I am smiling now.  Yay.  Seriously Mile 100 sign? Who does this shit? Ok not smiling anymore I feel tired again.  I shouldn't have stopped. Oh wow down hill, major down hill time. I need to break holy craaaaaap.  Another person on the side I ask if she is ok she is but needs a mechanic.

Second Loop:
Here we go hello hill time.  At least I know what is coming this time.

Miles 58-75ish:
Fuck fuck fuck.  Sorry mom but these hills.  Oh so this time that mile 60 sign applies! I ask the person next to me if there were this many hills the first time.  He agrees hills have grown since 9am.  Where the heck are the down hills. Ouch.  Cramp in my right foot.  That feels like I am being stabbed.  Need to adjust. OMG cramp in my left foot now I may need to stop and take off my shoe.  I will stop at 80.  No 90.  I only have 16 miles after 90.  Ouch it hurts. Another hill WTF.  OMG I have 26 after 90 not 16.  I will need to stop at 90.  I think after this hill we finally go down hill again.  Nope.  No we do not another stupid hill has grown. Ouch foot. 

75-100:
Ok I think this is the last big hill before down hills.  YES. Coast!!  Awe my foot is feeling better I will wait to 100.  I need to switch out my aid bottles.  Oops dropped an empty bottle.  Ok another person on the side of the road.  Karma karma karma.  Wow she was not happy.  Not nice to me for asking.  That is why she is on the side of the road.  I know now we have mostly down hills for the rest of the bike.  I have been drinking so much I have to pee!  Yay!  I am hydrated!  I am going to hold it till T2.  I can.  No stopping for my foot either it feels good.  Where is that damn town though that I saw the 100 mile marker we have to be close.  There it is!  People all over the place still!  Smile! HI everyone!  100 mile marker yay! 16 more to go!!

100-116:
Ouch foot ouch.  I am definitely waiting till T2 now.  Only 10 more miles.  That is like an easy day.  I see a guy walking his bike.  Ask if he is ok and he is pissed. He is cramping.  I ask if he wants some salt and he tells me he wants off the fucking bike.  Yay me too buddy but I am being nice for karma! Wow, into town is seriously like coming off a mountain! A mountain I climbed at mile 5 when I was hurting but now this mountain is awesome!  5 miles and she is on the side of the road poor girl.  I ask if she is ok and she glares at me.  Understood girl understood.  You should have thought about it earlier and asked people if they were ok though! KARMA! 4 more miles.  If this was a regular Ironman I would be off the bike but NO this is a stupid Ironman.  3 more!  I could ride like 50 more miles I really could.  2 more. I need off this god damn bike right now. 1 more mile! Wow I just started this ride didn't I?

T2:
Here take it I don't want it back.  I will never ride that stupid thing again. For Sale.  Really I have to bend down and grab my own bag?  But.... Ok got it.  I am walking to the tent this time. A lady grabs my bag from me. She starts to help me change and hands me my chips.  I love this woman.  She is the best friend I don't know.  She asks if I want her to tie my shoes.  Yes mommy.  Wait no I need to do that myself because I know how tight I like them.  Ok I need to use the potty and get going.  Got my bib and stuff let's go!

Run:
Mile 1:
Hey!  I feel damn good!  Yay.  Hi Cory I love you! I am feeling great!  See you in a little bit! Oh shit a hill...

Mile 2-7ish:
Ok.  That hill sucked ass.  I am good now.  It is hot.  Water at the aid stations and a drink of coke. and salt.  No more salt.  No.  I will take the chips instead.  Is that music?  That is not good music.  Is that Santa or am I losing it?  Nope that is definitely Santa.  Funny joke huh?  Because I am hot as hell people. Ok. Run now. This isn't so bad.  It is pretty flat now. And shady.  I will run 2 minutes walk 1 minute until it cools off.  Does this bike path ever end. Mile 18 for real these people are just asshats with their teasing.  I see the end to this bike path! And the end is a fucking steep hill. Oh hi Cory yep you bet I am walking up this hill!

Mile 8-12:
Ok time to cross the bridge and face Barton!  OMG WTF F F F F F F F.  Well I guess I am walking for a half mile up this mountain with houses.  Is that a beer station?  Who would want beer?  Oh that guy does.  DOWNHILL!!!  Yes!  I love to run down...NO OUCH why why make it stop. Oh good another up hill walk time.  Oh wow that is a pretty house, or is that a country club!  Pretty. Fuck another hill.  Oh and back to do Barton the other way.  I feel like Jack and Jill only the hill never gets to the pail of water. OK. Down hill time.  Aid station on a down hill is just BULLSHIT. I am not wasting the down hill. Mile 12!!!! Hi Cory is that a beer?  Well you deserve it.  He takes a pic of me!

Mile 13-20:
ok round 2!  13 miles to go! I got this.  Hell ya!  It is cooling down! I am walking up this hill but I am going to run like the whole mile after.  I did!  I ran a long time.  Ok only 4 minutes but wow.  Mile 15 back at the north pole.  Did he just say we only have 10 miles left.  Only.  Ok we only have 11 left asshat.  Did he just say we only have our warm up left.  I may punch Santa man.  Only my ass.  Ok run this and I am back on the never ending bike path.  It is almost getting dark.  A guy just told me I have a nice cadence!  Thank you man!! Good thing he didn't see me on the bike!  What the fuck is that smell.  Oh me.  Oops.  I can run for 4 minutes again.  I feel so good.  Haha mile 18!  This time I freaking love that sign!  Is that Miley Cirus?  Party in the USA!  I am going to have that in my head for the rest of this damn race.  Time to try some of that wonderful chicken broth.  Yes chicken broth.  OMG no. WTF V.  That is disgusting. Never again. Spit. Yuck.  Back to coke!  Mile 20!!! There is my honey! Hi Cory! He won't see me again till the finish line! Love you!!

Mile 21-24:
Up Barton again. It feels better the second time.  Someone knows me? Oh Tina! Yay!!! I will run with her till the end! OMG she is power walking.  Tina you walk like my dad.  There is the beer stand again. Still a big no.  Tina and I will stay together and walk the hills and run the rest.  OMG her power walking is tiring me.  I hope I can keep up.  Ok I think that was the last hill before Barton round 4. Nope forgot that one.  I am actually happy for hills until I remember she power walks.  Ok Barton! We are down hill running!  Not stopping again at the down hill aid station.

Mile 25:
Tina tells me she will probably cry.  I don't feel much.  That's weird.  We are going to walk up the bridge and then run the rest of the way in.  We meet a guy on the bridge.  He congratulates us! He is nice!  Run time.  I can't believe it less than a mile now!  I feel good! Too good! Yay! I tell Tina she will cross the finish line first because she is older.  She is worried about it but all I want to do is break 14 hours at this point.  She finally lets me let her go first!

Finish Line:
I see the light! I hope it is the Ironman light and not the I am dying light.  I feel great!  I am not going to cry and that kind of upsets me. Why am I not more emotional?  So many people are cheering us in! Wow I see the finish!  I can't believe it.  Tina takes off!  I see Julie!  I see Cory!!!  Tina is through!  Nicole Olmo, you are an Ironman!  Tina ,you are an Ironman!  Yes we are!  And we did great!!!

The End.

Thanks everyone for supporting me and listening to me whine, complain, brag, and just talk about this Ironman!!  Without family and friends we couldn't do what we all love!

No comments:

Post a Comment