Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Trying Tales of the Triathlete

I knew going into training for a half ironman I would be facing challenges.  My body still recovering from a hip stress fracture, the reason this crazy adventure started, would be the biggest challenge itself right? Nah.  Not at all.  I am going to go back to grade school now and draw my bubble with stems off of it to create my intro, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion here.  Haha just kidding! Funny however being a triathlete that I am going to group this into the 3 (get it TRI) areas that have really just been trying during this adventure.  Was that an accurate thesis statement? :)

So when I started I was mainly worried about my hip acting up.  At the beginning of the year when I was training for the marathon and got to the 18-20 mile runs I felt the pain come back so I backed off and did the half marathon instead, and the pain went away. Woohoo! Smart girl! Well my half IM training was going smoothly and without silly pain until I decided to go out and conquer Mountain Goat hills with my bike and let's just say the hip and hamstring did not agree that Mountain Goat was a fun, good idea like I thought.  When training for a half IM and you are 4 weeks out you can't really just back off and I am sure not going to skip it.  I am already one wetsuit down and I am not going to add a paid half IM and 6 months of training to it.  But I was once again a good girl and went and saw my PT and she told me to roll and stretch.  I have been like a freaking superstar.  And the pain is....yah, nope it is still there.  It is less and I am working through it but it is still there.  I can't really expect it to go away putting 80 miles on the bike and 15 on my feet in two days though.  I will be a good girl and take some time off....starting July 20th :)   That is the first challenge, on to stem number 2.

Money.  I am broke.  I do not mean I am missing out on area races because I decided to do a big race broke, I mean I am flat broke.  Yes I took a slight pay cut to be in a happier job position, but holy crap being a triathlete is expensive.  Notice how running is more popular, it isn't because it is easier, it is because it is cheaper!!  Ok I am kidding here, I respect all of my triathlete friends MORE than anyone can EVER know.  I respect their wallets too.  I know a guy that does 3, IM a year.  That is $750! FOR ONE OF THEM...and I mean just race entry.  That doesn't include travel, board, food, and all the upkeep on race equipment.  I remember my friend Mike and me adding up our races a few years back and we had spent like $700 on race fees and were all proud and could not believe how much we had spent.  I spent that on equipment.  I have done 4 races this year and spent over $700. WTF!!!  So you can only imagine the B***H that I became when my wetsuit was stolen 2 days after I bought it.  You have got to be F ing kidding me.  I will tell you what, the person who came up with IM is probably one rich son of a genius.  So yah I am broke.  Who wants to buy me a beer tonight? Ok, the last stem, the one I did not expect, the one that has been the most trying...

Relationships.  Time.  I remember one friend telling me that doing an IM is the most selfish thing you can ever do to a spouse.  Another told me she spent 20 hours a week training for her IM.  20 freaking hours.  Yes folks, you train like it is a part time job because an IM is not an easy task and if you do not train you will not finish.  I am afraid I won't finish the Half IM and I have trained well.  Very well, I am very proud of myself.  It is very straining to your relationships.  This weekend I trained for 5 hours on Saturday and 3 hours Sunday.  I was a tired mess.  Cory wants me to hang out with him, go on bike rides, stay up and watch movies.  It is not his fault I am tired but week after week of going through this gets to him.  I do not want to clean or do extra stuff because I have already done so much.  I do not feel like going out for drinks with friends or going over to my moms for dinner.  I mean, I have fun once I get my butt up and go out but it is trying to even put on makeup and do my hair sometimes.  I definitely have used training as an excuse and some friends and family have been hurt by it, mostly Cory, because he gets a front row viewing of it all.  He sees when I am tired, hears when I am hurt, helps me because I am broke, and still cheers me along the way.  I definitely have him, my parents, and friends to thank once this is all said and done!  For helping me and putting up with my grouchy ass! :)

Ok this isn't another stem, I just wanted to separate it because it is the most trying of all the tri's... my relationship with myself.  I do not know how many times in the past 3 months I have told myself I CAN NOT do this.  It is a constant battle in my head.  I am so pessimistic about this race,  For each Olympic we have done in preparation I have had a constant battle in my head the week before.  I have been so down in the dumps and hard on myself.  I think this has taken the toughest toll on my relationship with myself.   I know that half of the bike and probably most of the run will be accomplished with my brain.  I need to be able to be positive, not compare myself with others, and do the best I can.  Sadly this is also the hardest part for me.  I have voiced my worries and had several friends who are IM say that I am fine, and I will surprise myself, and this and that.  I remember when my friend was doing his first half marathon and he was freaking out and I kept thinking, "it is only 13 miles dude."  Yah I was an ass.  He had never done it, of course he was nervous and worried.  Sometimes I want to say, "HEY IM, this is my first too!"  I am sure a half is easy to an IM but it is daunting to me.  I just need to remember that it is my race, not my friends, not the person next to me in the swim/bike/run.  I hope to come back with an awesome The Terrific Tales of the Triathlete afterwards haha.  I just need to calm down and race my race.  Regardless I have learned a lot about myself through the training, mostly that I am a heck of a lot stronger than I thought I was and that I can go a lot longer and harder than I thought I could.  I just need those happy thoughts for my race.

Happy thoughts!  :)  (Yes that is my closing paragraph) That says enough!




No comments:

Post a Comment