Tuesday, April 7, 2015

March Madness should never cause a short rant...

So I joke that every March I become a basketball fan.  Same as every World Series I become a baseball fan.  I will never be a Football fan, I watch the Super Bowl only for the fun and commercials.  I am the type of person that would much rather PLAY a sport than watch it.  Does that mean I am not a fan, um... NO.   I have the teams I like, teams I have liked since I was a child.  Most of the time I have a vague awareness of how these teams are doing, but I am not one to plant myself for hours in front of the tube to watch these teams.  Now give me tickets to a baseball, basketball, soccer, and most definitely hockey game, I am there. 

So when I was asked certain questions about "liking basketball" all the sudden during the tournament, I was kind of offended.  I am obviously a sports girl, so just because I am not up on the latest scoreboard stats, why is it so damn surprising that I am cheering for a team.  Yes I tend to only get involved when it is a big tournament, but that doesn't mean I do not like my teams.  So having to explain why I wanted to watch a certain game or why I liked the teams I did, sort of offended me.  So what if I picked Notre Dame and Michigan State to play in the finals.  Yes it was a pretty silly pick, but they both played like winning teams at times in the tournament.  I have my own reasons for picking and liking the teams I do, frankly which is only my business, but I will explain why when asked.  It just shouldn't be that surprising that someone who spend 6 days a week, sometimes 2 times a day working out, would like sports. 

However...  Lots of my friends are year long runners.  We have ourselves a laugh every March when the seasonal runners return to the streets.  We joke about how the real runners have been running outside all winter.  I even got a little annoyed this past month when the seasonal swimmers returned to the Y to swim, taking up the lanes.  I was pissed because I was there all winter swimming and now the are back crowding the place.  Quick to judge people, just like those people were quick to judge me.  I guess I should listen to my own rant haha.  I mean, I do not really know why these people do not sport all year round, there could be a number of reasons, frankly which are none of my business, but I shouldn't judge. 

That is really all this is about. Silly perhaps but all the same, you really shouldn't be surprised by information you do not know about a person, that is not really your business to know, guess, judge, etc....  

I mean, I like serial killer books, movies, etc.... but do not be surprised if I am passed a romantic comedy once in awhile and happen to enjoy it!

I am currently looking at my bird feeder and laughing because it is being shared by a squirrel and a bird.  I guess if they can find a way to share a small feeder and let each eat in peace without questioning, we should accept as a world that we may not know people the way we think we do, and we should not be so quick to judge.

On that note....thank god basketball is over.  Duke sucks!  Go CUBS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment